Sunday, November 11, 2007

Mother Teresa and Darkness

I have finally finished the book of Mother Teresa's letters. It is a wonderful book, but very hard going. She was a very complex person yet also very single minded in her what she felt was her mission. Hence, the pain in what she feared was the rejection of Christ was very real and very strong.

As I have noted earlier, some in the press have stated that these letters show that Mother Teresa was some sort of hypocrite or a secret atheist. Otters have argued that she was feeling "the dark night of the soul."

From reading her letters, however, I think it was in fact something else, something deeper. Was she simply reacting as any loving human being would to the poverty and rejection of the Indian slums? Or was she feeling spiritually the pain of loss and rejection felt by Christ on Calvary? Was it from God, or was it a reaction to her surroundings?

I cannot say. But what is clear from her letters is that she eventually welcomed the darkness as a gift from God. And despite this darkness, she never waived in her mission.

5 comments:

Rodak said...

"Or was she feeling spiritually the pain of loss and rejection felt by Christ on Calvary?"

To be able to feel this would be the greatest gift any Christian could hope to receive. To truly feel this would be to experience existence without the sense "I". It would be to have become a void, available to be filled by the Holy Spirit.

Anthony said...

I make no claim as to what or where it came from.

Rodak said...

"I make no claim as to what or where it came from."

Anthony--
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Can you expand on it some?

Anthony said...

Sure -- I am saying that I do not know if her feelings of darkness were the result of working in teh slums or if they were from God and if from God, why and what purpose they served. Those feelings went way beyond the "Dark Night" St. John of the Cross and other saints reported.

I only note that she persevered in her mission despite the feelings of doubt.

Rodak said...

"...she persevered in her mission despite the feelings of doubt."

Which, imo, is why she is a saint.
Of course, my "o", is worth exactly "0".