Saturday, September 6, 2008

So what do I think of the Republicans?

The Sarah Palin pick will either go down as the most brilliant, or most disastrous, election decisions in history. I really do not see any middle ground. And that is strange, because usually, vice-presidential choices do not matter. Did Dick Cheney give GWB a boost? Did George Bush do anything for Ronald Reagan? Walter Mondale still lost in a landslide despite putting Ferraro on the ticket (and if I recall correct, Reagan even won Ferraro's district).

But Palin may have an effect. Let's be frank, the conservative base of the GOP has not shared my enthusiasm for John McCain. Governor Palin may have in one speech energized the base of the GOP in a way he could not.

I actually have been talking about her quite a bit, though it seems I mentioned her only twice in passing on this blog. She was my "hoped for" pick, though I could not really see him doing it. My Obama supporting wife has been hearing about Palin for about 5 months and when she saw the smile on my face her first words were "Palin?"

So why am I so excited? I am not an evangelical or politically a social conservative. But Palin has an appeal across constituencies. To me, I see her as a radical reformer, who took on the Alaska political establishment and a republican Senator I do not like. I also see her as someone who can make the case for drilling for more oil here, to take the pressure off until new sources of fuel are developed.

And while I can point to her as a reformer, she comes across as a practically intelligent, quirky, strong willed woman. I come a family filled with practically intelligent, quirky, strong willed women (though they are a bit difficent in the moose killing department).

Then she gave that speech.

As for McCain's speech, McCain was being McCain. That is who he is. People know him. He cannot, and should not, try to match Obama's oratorical brilliance or rock star appeal. But he should use the contrast to his advantage -- he must cast himself as a Cinncinatus in comparison to Obama's Gracchus.

In any event, this is really Obama's race to lose, not McCain's to win. Obama should be up by a lot more, considering the general level of discontent but he is not. . McCain's best hope is that the debates get Obama away from the teleprompter. That is where McCain can shine, and Obama has had some difficulties.

But even that may not be enough. Still, I can have the AUDACITY to HOPE that McCain will CHANGE the results of this election, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"So what do I think of the Republicans?"

Well if you've been frequenting RT you'd KNOW what you should think.

(*CHUCKLE*) (*FRIENDLY ELBOW TO THE RIBS*)

"The Sarah Palin pick will either go down as the most brilliant, or most disastrous, election decisions in history."

Brilliant. (*WINK*)

"I really do not see any middle ground. And that is strange, because usually, vice-presidential choices do not matter."

Again, Anthony... my egotistical schtick aside... (*GRIN*)... if you'd been paying attention to what I've been saying for the past year you would have KNOWN that the VP picks had the potential to be the make or break for one ticket over the other. (*SIGH*)

"Did Dick Cheney give GWB a boost?"

Yeah. Definitely. (*SHRUG*) Not in the same league with the boost McCain gets from Palin, but moreso than usual.

"Let's be frank, the conservative base of the GOP has not shared my enthusiasm for John McCain."

(*SNORT*) (*SMILE*)

"She was my "hoped for" pick, though I could not really see him doing it."

Exactamundo! (*HIGH FIVE*)

"My Obama supporting wife has been hearing about Palin for about 5 months and when she saw the smile on my face her first words were "Palin?""

(*PATTING ANTHONY ON THE SHOULDER*) Don't worry, buddy... you'll get her back! Once she watches the debates with you... (*CONFIDENT NOD*)

"...Palin has an appeal across constituencies."

(*SMILE*) Yep.

(*SCROLLING DOWN*) Agree with everything you write about Palin's positives and why you like her and are enthused.

"In any event, this is really Obama's race to lose, not McCain's to win."

McCain's the odds-on favorite to win. The debates could lock it for him... worst case if he does badly or if Palin falters (doubtful) against Biden that brings the race back to uncallable. (*SHRUG*)

BILL

Anthony said...

>McCain's the odds-on favorite to win.

Bill, I still see Obama as the odds on favorite. Most importantly, I can see Obama winning the EC but losing the popular vote.

Unknown said...

This election is so very interesting because of vice- presidential running-mate choices. I agree moreso now than ever these decisions are more important. I believe this to be true because both party's presidential candidate decisions have upset if not alienated many members of their respective parties. This "alienation" being more evident in the DNC selection of Obama, which amazingly enough will play well for the Republican ticket with the VP selection of Palin. Palin draws in many of the wary conservatives, while she makes McCain even more attractive to the gung-ho Hillary supporters. Palin fills that longing for a strong-willed, powerful woman that many were looking for in the democratic nomination. She also appeals to the activist leanings of many of the liberal minds who would normally fear McCain's straight-laced, military background. I think Palin, barring any earth shattering scandal, has really raised the threat level on Obama, in a way that Biden has not to McCain. But what do I know? I'm just a lonely Republican in Brooklyn...

Anthony said...

>But what do I know? I'm just a lonely Republican in Brooklyn...

You mean there is another one?