Wednesday, September 12, 2007

More on Mother Teresa

It seems that Mother Teresa's spiritual doubts have struck a cord in the blogsphere. The Anchoress has a wonderful essay on the subject, along with a round up of others. Despite the silly statements in the press that the letters show Mother Teresa was an atheist, the letters instead show the opposite. “My God my God, why have you abandoned me” is not the cry of an atheist, but the cry of a pained believer. But what is forgotten, is that the psalmist went on to state that “For God has not spurned or disdained the misery of this poor wretch, Did not turn away from me, but heard me when I cried out.” The psalm ends with the psalmist stating that he will teach the next generation of God, so they can proclaim Him to the generations to come.

The book of Mother Teresa's letters must be selling very well. Amazon tells me that the book will not be shipped until sometime in October. And why not? I want to read about a saint's "long dark night" to give me courage when my much weaker faith falters.

No comments: