Friday, March 14, 2008

A quote I like

"Science gives us knowledge, and religion gives us meaning. Both are prerequisites of the decent existence." Father Michael Heller, cosmologist and Roman Catholic priest, on winning the Templeton Prize for science and philosophy.

One reason I started this blog was to examine the role of faith and reason. As I make it clear, I am not a philosopher, a theologian or a scientist. But I believe strongly that faith and reason need not be in opposition to each other. Yet, faith and reason at times seem so hard to reconcile. Some try to by using God to fill in those things that science cannot understand – turning God the cause behind the universe into "The God of the Gaps." This God of the Gaps idea is what lead to my brief fling with atheism a decade or so ago. I found viewing God in that way so narrow that it turned Him into something I no longer recognized. Father Heller has argued against this view of God.

I admit, I had not heard of Father Heller, who teaches in Poland, prior to winning this award. Perhaps I should make acquaintance with his work.

3 comments:

Rodak said...

Some try to by using God to fill in those things that science cannot understand – turning God the cause behind the universe into "The God of the Gaps."

I must admit that this whole question has never moved me, one way or the other. We need to use science, for instance, to cure disease. If we are focusing our attention on, say, DNA and chromosomes and our whole genetic apparatus, in order to find remedies for inherited birth defects, then that very focus obliterates our thinking of God in that narrow context, so as we are paying specific attention to those nuts and bolts of His handiwork. Where our attention ends, God shines through again. But God is always there, just as the stars are always there, but are obliterated by the brightness of the sun, during daylight hours. What's wrong with that? And how else could we "conduct business" as the appointed stewards of God's Creation?
One can direct one's attention to God 24/7, but not while living in the world, I think. That's why they have cloisters.

Anonymous said...

Anthony,

Prof. Laurence Principe of Johns Hopkins teaches a 12 lecture course on Science and Religion as part of the Teaching Company Series of audio/video lectures. (Teach12.com)

The central point of the course is of the close relationship between science and religion throughout history.

I think you'd enjoy the course.

Anthony said...

Thanks Anonymous! I will check them out.

I actually attended Johns Hopkins for 3 semesters back in the day. Unfortunately, I never took any History of Science courses and he probably postdates my attendence at the Hopkins.

Rob -- As usual you hit the issue well.